Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Find Comfort In Your Apartment

(Image courtesy of Jamie Davies)

After the rigours of running around to jobs, dinners and activities it’s nice to be able to come back home to a nice quiet relaxing apartment. Taking time to appreciate your home and what it is about it that makes you feel safe there can help you amplify those feelings.

This article from apartmenttherapy.com breaks down the most calming components of your home and teaches you how to maximize the relaxing feelings you get from them. Keep reading to learn how to enjoy even more comfort from your apartment!

1. Diversify lighting. I'm a proponent of having three points of light in a room. Make your home work for you by being able to switch between brighter, more concentrated light when you need to focus and something softer when you want to relax. Build in that kind of flexibility by installing a dimmer switch for an overhead light or table lamp — both doable DIY projects.

2. Invest in comforting textures. What's cozier than soft pillows, throws, and blankets? The bonus is they're inexpensive and portable. I'm a fan of other small splurges too (for me, it's good-smelling hand soap).

3. Don't kill yourself getting clean; accept the never-ending cycle of household chores. I feel better in my home when it doesn't look dirty or really disorganized, but I also don't want to feel as if I'm constantly cleaning. While many people like keeping a cleaning schedule, I like incorporating chores into my daily routine. I'd also point you to The Lazy Person's Guide to a Happy Home: Tips for People Who (Really) Hate Cleaning.

4. Carve out a space for what you care about. Even when you're short on space, there's always a way to prioritize what's meaningful for you. Whether it'sturning a closet into a craft zone, designating a cozy reading nook or a place for your bike, or making your kitchen more functional with pegboard, follow your bliss.

5. Make space by paring down. Right now I feel like I have a lot of stuff that I no longer want to give room in my home. A combination of donating and throwing things out will lighten the load in terms of your home's need for storage and your (perceived) need to organize.

0comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More